Saturday, March 23, 2019

... FO and on to weaving maybe

I have a finished object, a sweater! One that took a year of knitting off and on and in truth should have 3.7 sleeves. In practice it has only one sleeve - but I have knit nearly four sleeves. I am also working out what to weave - which means making sure I have enough yarn to actually make what I plan.
 This is the Possum Merino Alpaca sweater just before washing, all 649grams of it. I don't like 'sleezy' fabric, loose, open and likely to distort and sag and generally not last. So I tend to knit to a firmer gauge - not bullet proof but firm.  This is for older cub -now at least 6ft with long arms - who now flats away from home. He requested a warm brown sweater and here it is. The yarn is lovely - Outlaw yarn Bohemia Gothic - the Gothic means black merino and the possum has a black fuzz - while the alpaca is soft and drapy and silky. Project notes here.

The pattern is of my own making, my favorite saddle shoulder structure. Starting with a neck band, some short rows to shape the back higher and the front lower, working shoulder straps and then a little bit of over the shoulder increase shaping before working sleeve increases. Increased to shape the underarm both on the body and the sleeve and then worked body, then sleeves in the round.
 At this point the sleeves went as planned but after convincing a tall Thursday night knitter to try this on (He did but on the condition he didn't have to twirl) I ripped back a sleeve and began the decreases to narrow it much earlier. I made notes and followed these for the second sleeve - but seems I made notes before I ripped back so in following them I completed the second sleeve too wide and too long. Both sleeves were frogged and reknit smaller. Bean Pole Boy has long arms - but not that long.  I continued the underarm 'welt' of a column of 2x2 knit bordered by columns of purls - under each sleeve and down the top of the shoulder and down the sleeve, I also worked this down the side of the body. Stretchy bind off (Jenny's) made sure the hem was not too tight on both the body and the sleeves.
 With the sweater off the needles, its been a year, I bought the yarn at Unwind 2018 and began it in July, I thought I would 'whip up a warp' for the loom. I have a few ideas I want to explore in weaving. I measured out and made some calculations and began to make half a warp for 8 tea/dish towels. I didnt give too much thought to how much thread was needed - but as the cone began to thin - I did do some further calculations. I've discovered I don't understand much about how much yarn is required for weaving - and that I needed to order more. So I've also tracked down two suppliers in NZ one of 8/2 and 12/2 cotton and two or more of 10/2 cotton. These are the sizes I have already invested in and have some off - so it makes sense to source more. The 10/2 is finer and so more threads are needed for a warp - this is 315 threads - half of what I need.
I have finished the half warp - and put it aside all neatly labeled - awaiting an email that will tell me if I can get more of the same colour. If not I will have to make a plan - for stripes or a half and half design. I then did some more calculations for what amount I would require for 8/2 cotton dish clothes - and worked out I needed to buy my cones of weaving yarn in batches of 3-5x250 grams at least If I want to weave tea towels in warps of more than 4 at a time. I ordered 5 cones of yarn Saturday (all different colours/shades) and then Sunday discovered I would need to order a double set of those at least - so 5 more or less the same are on the way to me today. Monday I hope to receive an email that I can order more of the same color as my half warp and so can work to my original plan. Nothing like learning as you go is there? That means I have no major garment project 'on the needles' so have plans to begin something tonight ---

Na Stella


1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

The sweater turned out beautifully! (Multiple sleeve iterations notwithstanding :) ) I'm sure Older Cub will love it as winter approaches. Right now I'm in the funny position of also not really having anything on the needles that is right for an upcoming long flight. Somehow I need to finish kitchenering 200+ stitches to finish a birthday present, and figure out what to bring along with me for the trip.