Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Public holiday so new knitterly things ... a purl video

In new zealand the 25th of April is Anzac day, the day we as a country hold memorial services to remember those who served in wars. For a small country far from the rest of the world, and who has never been invaded we sure lost a lot of servicemen and women (In this post I'm ignoring the European 'invitation turned invasion' of the Maori lands that lead to land wars as there is way to much current and historical politics to go there in a single knitting post). ANZAC, I think, stands for Australian and New Zealanc Armed Corps, I could be wrong on the C bit.

It is also my dads birthday, who has the dubious honor of never having worked on his birthday in his entire life. Even when in Europe and the UK he tells us he told his bosses "I've never worked on my birthday and I'm not about to start now". Cheeky Kiwi. Happyy birthday Dad, he is circa 1933.

So a national public holiday, and what does an obsessed knitter do on such days, when it is drizzly and kind of cold and pretty much an at home day?
They do things knitterly.

Following a comment from DogMotive in the Netherlands on my youtube video showing my quick and easy way to rib, I have posted a second video of just purling. I just love the internet makes the whole world smaller. Please be very forgiving about the occassional short lapses in focus. I have an oldish digital camera, that does great knitting close ups or macro, and while it does make movies this seems as good as it gets. Again many thanks to Bear, who is very very very patient when I suggest 'just one more take'.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Excellent video! Extremely clear. Funny that you should post this just now, because I watched and rewatched the K2, P1 video yesterday evening and spent this morning's knitting time practising. At present, I am in a hybrid mode where the left needle scoops, but the index is still twitching a little to assist with the wrap; something I may never be able to overcome because I have always enjoyed purling Continental.

While trying the Finnish purl, it had occurred to me that a possible reason why this method would assist in conquering rowing out would be that the left needle tip fully guides the completed stitch into position on the right needle; taking up any additional slack between stitches. At least it does when I knit. Your video does not seem to show this particular benefit in progress.

I do so enjoy your blog. It challenges me to keep thinking about how I knit and why.

Suzanne said...

Aaaack! I meant the right needle scoops. Believe it or not, I did actually proofread that post 4 times before I published it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I'm that DogMotive person (Sylvie is my real name) and I really appreciate this, it's excellent!
I certainly will practise more. Who knows, now I joined the TKGA and going to follow a basics course where they will review my swatches, maybe I can make them in continental style...

Anonymous said...

Well, I practised again and I'm getting the hang of it; I was doing it right, except you keep your indexfinger very still, while I was bending it every time. So, now I can try to keep my finger still.
Thanks again and yes, the internet is great for meeting people all over the world :-)

Unknown said...

You're spot on with the 'C' bit. My son has just done a public speaking exercise on the ANZACS and did HEAPS of research! Love the video!!

joulesB said...

Im a crocheter who has been learning to knit continental style and the purl has had me realy frustrated. Ive been looking for ages at different ways and the bets way i could do purls was to have a crochet hook as i could grab the yarn in stead of having to wrap it. then in ravelry someone linked to here and im hooked, alll i can say is wow and thankyou very much. i can ourl quite happily now. why is this the first ive heard of this way of purling? i learned from knitting help.com and there is no video of this there - there should be its awsome!

thanks

joulesB said...

Im a crocheter who has been learning to knit continental style and the purl has had me realy frustrated. Ive been looking for ages at different ways and the bets way i could do purls was to have a crochet hook as i could grab the yarn in stead of having to wrap it. then in ravelry someone linked to here and im hooked, alll i can say is wow and thankyou very much. i can ourl quite happily now. why is this the first ive heard of this way of purling? i learned from knitting help.com and there is no video of this there - there should be its awsome!

thanks