Saturday, March 29, 2014

Finished object ... Or FO!

Today there is an actual real life finished object, a knitted one. Finishing things often has a follow in effect, it can lead to a feeling that there is space, time, and the opportunity to begin something new. That is a very real danger of finishing projects, and comes in part from the feel good sensatio. (Dopamine?) of finishing and the desire to set up a situation to repeat the sensation. There is at least in this knitters world, a much more stratightforward path towards the excitement and happiness of finishing, to choose another work-in-progress(wip) to finish. That is what I did - not with one but with two WIPs.

The infinity cowl is all done, there were some dramas along the way (reported here - rav link so you have to sign in to read). Mostly to do with my stupidity, and how far I could knit whilst worried and yet not worried enough to stop and check. Short version is that when casting on for a möbius you need the circular needles to twist around themselves exactly half a twist ... I had a full twist and a half so an extra twist in my scarfs. Didn't bother little cub but it did bother me. And the bonus with frogging was that I could slide it off the needles and check if my estimated cast on was a good size.

I cast on 350 stitches on 2.75mm needles, and worked three rounds of knit, then three rounds of purl until I had nine knit sections. I cast off with larger needles (3.25mm,or maybe 3.5mm I forgot to note down the details) using a three stitch icord cast off, the icord was a nice rounded edge that mirrored the rolls of the knit and purl welts. At some point I weighted the yarn before and after a round, and discovered that a round used 1.76 grams, using that I estimated I needed to leave 8-10 grams to work the cast off icord edge. I may have got a littl bored at some point and added a row of k2tog YO eyelets .... But littl cub didn't notice until after the fact and seems to like it, her exact words were - it's Ok don't undo it,

There is just on eight grams of yarn left - so I might have been able to squeeze another round or three in ... But maybe not. Little cub has plans to use this to make a simillar cowl for her AmericanGirl Dolls (Kit &Saige). I'm not quite sure how to knit a doll sized one ... But we can fathom that out together.

 

Which brings me to the KSG hat, I've wound the dyed cashmere merino yarn onto nostephine, and begun to knit the pattern again. This time the yarn, the shaping and the cable are all working together nicely. I have four leaves knit, and need another four before knitting the closure. The hat is sitting upon a wip that has also received recent attention - the Handspun - hand knit baby blanket.

Unfortunately the blanket if made from woollen spun yarn - so fuzzy to look at, and from dark naturally coloured fiber, so too dark to see the details. The blanket is ending up large, and dark and cushy warm but the outside rounds are now long and take ages to knit. I don't think I will have enough yarn spun up, or processed to finish the compete cable chart on th edging but I have a plan to just garter stitch the boarder until my yarn runs out.

And whilst I has fossicking in my work basket looking for things to knit, things that were close to finishing I rediscovered the Sleeven cardigan. I've only the sleeves to do ... So I sat one night and knit a little in the sleeves, good progress so far, I'm about a third of the way down the first sleeve, and trusting that blocking will work its magic with this BFL yarn and even everything up.

There is more happening in the background ... Knitting, and such ... So I promise to come back latter to fill in the details.

 

No comments: