Well if by that I mean sudden project cast ons, while existing projects languish in the wip basket, and distractions like dying yarn and fiber. Saturday was KSG so a new and mystery project that usually introduces a new technique or approach. This class was no different, introducing a hat knit sideways with a cable leaf edge. The instructions were to bring a 2.75mm needle and fingering yarn. I played safe and brought grey yarn left over from a previous project.
I liked the pattern, and loved the construction, but realised that the yarn wasn't really a great match for the hat. So at home frogged what had been knit and hunted out something more suitable.
I dug this out of stash, a merino cashmere fingering weight from an Australian Indie dyer who is no longer selling. I've always loved the yarn, how soft it is, but never found the right pattern for the variegated yarn. The colour runs are short so the yarn tends towards stripy ... And not in a great way. While this would make the short row sideways shaping a feature, that isn't a look I am wanting for this hat.
So I decided to overdye the yarn, and while I was doing that I pulled out a soft grey brown fingering possum blend yarn that I always passed by. This was also a yarn I loved the fiber blend of but not the colour.
A few hours latter and I had two blue yarns, possum on the left, cashmere on the right. They are mostly dry as today was a warm sunny autumn day, but I will wait until tomorrow to wind into a ball and start.
Take care from Stella the easily distracted knitter.