Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Today I am ...

posting somewhere else ...

Some months ago I won a shopping spree at Cult pens to celebrate the 5th birthday of Dave's (amazing) Mechanical Pencil blog.
I wrote a review of one of the more luxury pencils that I splurged some of the prize money on ... a Worther Slight 1.18mm pencil, and the review was posted this week. I only recently discovered the Worther brand, and must admit that some of their products make me want an executive desk just so I would have somewhere to display such elegant things.

The Worther Slight may or may not be your kind of pencil, as writing tools can be very very personal choices for some people, and others couldn't care less as long as the pen or pencil leaves a mark. The Worther has some features that make it very different to a standard click 0.5mm pencil, things like the black silicon sheath the leads are stored in that prevent the usual mechanical pencil rattle, and almost no branding.

One of the things I like about a larger-than-0.5mm pencil lead is the ability to modify the point, rounded and soft, pointed and sharp or sharpened to a chisel like an italic pen. I remember being so impressed as a young 18 year old drafts-person seeing one of the old-hands sharpen his clutch pencil like this and use it to add bold titles to his drawings.



Enjoy if pencils or quality stationery in general are your thing, and if you are here for some knitting I'll be back in the weekend with knitting content.

na Stella

3 comments:

KathyR said...

Although I'm not a pen/pencil afficionado I still read your review with much interest. One thing I wondered, though - were the drawings yours? Just curious!

Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, very cool. I, too, love thicker-lead pencils, but it hadn't even occurred to me what I could really do with them! This is also something that Rick would like, I think - engineer that he is. Hmmm...

Vanda Symon said...

I'm going to have to italicise one of my pencils now - what a great idea!

I seem to be amassing pencils as rapidly as I am fountain pens and ink!