Monday, November 05, 2007

Finished !

So we can just let the photos speak for the first little bit, ta-da!

And Fannigan, yes I am happy, really happy, a great fit, perfectly warm, the sleeves just over-long enough, the fit just snug enough, the length just right, and very lightweight. I popped into Knitworld to show them today (where I bought the yarn) and they said it looked so even it could have been machine knit, I didn't know if I should be amused or offended. It was cause they don't see much knitting in the round, and mostly work flat, I told myself.

so today, I am showing of Fannigan, we have a visitor coming, a spin report and I'm off on a knitting weekend.


ta-da! again - now I am just showing off! Yes the lighter of the two clasps was nice, but the heavier ones just seemed a better match. I'm sold on the idea of clasps and will be using these as a closure again and again. A very clever solution for knitwear - why have we been knitting button holes, with all the associated to tight, to loose, to whatever, here in our English based nations, when those clever Europeans had little perfect solutions like pewter clasps hundreds of years ago?
I started with one clasp at the neck, and it looked good, like jewelery, but with a little wear the front pulled open, so I added the second, and then decided the third was needed just to snug it in under my bust. I'm aiming for traditional but not frumpy, let me know if I'm off please. And look the steeked neckline worked! A little kink where the raglan intersects, but looks fine to me. There is a flaw - which I might show you next time, and no I am not frogging!


And this is the wet-blocking, look at the colour of the water, gosh that red ran! I rinsed 4 times and the water was still ever so slightly pink. Note to self, wash on its own until that stops.


So not much else to show, Emily is coming to town (well she is in town as we speak but we won't meet up until tomorrow), and she is coming home for dinner (the evening meal), and out to meet the Thursday night knitters. Tania asked me to step in and take over hospitality duties, while she is away, lets see, meet visiting knitter, take knitter to knit night, eat good food with knitter, discuss knitty things, perhaps wine or something - whats not to say yes to?

I plied up two bobbins of the singles, and now have two seemingly balanced skeins of 172 and 105 meters each. To work that out I just counted the number of wraps on the 1.5m ninny noddy, and times'd by 1.5. I had three full bobbins of singles, but one bobbin ran out earlier than the other two - I guess the trick to spinning is consistency and that means I wasn't consistent. They sure looked like they had the same amount.

And this weekend, please excuse me I won't be posting again until mid next week. Three of the Spinners and Weavers knitter study group (never just flows of the tongue that one no matter how I write it), and I are off to a designing knit wear weekend, with Barbara Paley (stitch'n' pitch lady? can any one confirm that?). Some one asked why, when I teach pattern-making and construction on a fashion degree, well .... its a weekend away, its knitting, it isn't expensive, I like my traveling companions, I like knitting, and you always learn some thing. Always - even if it just something small. So I am off to do my home work - knit a gauge swatch to take with me. I'm thinking that baby alpaca I added to stash some time ago? We also have to take a sweater that fits and one that 'could fit better', what a nice way to put it. I'm taking Fannigan, just to show off! the one that could fit better, thats harder, I don't keep those, I frog them.

Can you tell I'm happy with it? Cause I am.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great!

I totally agree about the clasps, too, so much better than fiddling with button holes in lots of cases, and you can leave the placement until all the knitting is done. :-)

Prachi said...

It is very very beautiful! What a lovely fit, the clasps complement it wonderfully. Congratulations on a great project, and enjoy your weekend!

Hilary said...

It's stunning! What a fantastic job you did; you are right to be so proud!

octopusgrrl said...

Magnificent, Stella - well done! :)

Knitting Linguist said...

It's gorgeous! And you're dead on with the clasps -- I love them, and they're not at all frumpy. I'm thinking I may need to try some myself next time I do a cardigan. I can't wait to hear about your knit night and your knit weekend. Hope the paper's going well!

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Woah... fannigan is preeeetty! Well done :)

KathyR said...

Very, very nice! You are right to be proud of your work! Enjoy the weekend - I am looking forward to hearing all about it.

Octopus Knits said...

Beautiful! Wonderful job : )

Diantee said...

WOW I really love your Fannigan. Such lovely work and the lovely clasps which finish it off so nicely and great fit.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

That is exquisitely pretty and the clasps are just perfect )I'm a big fan of clasps) love the colours and shape and everything - gorgeous

Tanya said...

Sorry for the being the silent knitter as of late - on a cyper holiday as well as a real one! Thought I should catch up before coming to knit night tonight and pleased I did. Your cardy looks amazing! I love the clasps, you did a beautiful job. Would love to see it in the flesh.

Anna said...

Oh! I love this--I just hopped onto Ravelry and saw your question about binding off and was so happy that you had also finished it. It's really lovely and the fit is perfect. I'm sure you're still enjoying it!